As an entrepreneur or those in a 9-5 job, it is important to find balance between work and family life. This can be difficult for some women who may feel they need two incomes while needing to spend more time at home taking care of their children as well. There are plenty of ways you can organize your schedule which allow for better quality time in business and with family and friends to increase your mental and physical health throughout the day, without sacrificing anything.
Though balancing work and family life can be challenging, there are ways to get started on your journey towards success and happiness balancing life.
The best way for any of us, especially parents seeking balance in their lives between professional commitments and caring duties at home, is by being able to take care of both tasks simultaneously whenever possible. A healthy balancing act ensures that there’s nothing neglected when one responsibility ends and another begins. The next time something comes up unexpectedly just remember, it may be difficult now but small steps over time make a huge impact long-term.
Here are 7 tips to make sure you’re not sacrificing your work or family life.
1. Create time for yourself every day, even if it’s just 10 minutes in the morning or evening before bedtime where you can facilitate and unwind from your busy days.
2. Try not to get overwhelmed with tasks because they will take over rather than add value to your life. Prioritize what needs to be done most urgently. Focus on areas that eliminate stressors or hassles.
3. Learn to say no. It is important for your mental and physical well-being that you make time in your busy schedule for yourself. You must prioritize how much value each thing you make time for requires on a scale from one through ten. Don’t feel guilty about cutting out certain commitments to prioritize your well-being.
4. Create a work/life balance by spending time with family every night, even if it’s only for 10-30 minutes. It may not seem like much in the moment, but when you’re constantly on-the go this becomes really important. It will help you from feeling like you are neglecting your loved ones by spending quality time together.
5. Use tools like Gmail, iPhone/Apple calendars and Outlook to set reminders that are built in so you don’t forget about your obligations at home.
6. Try taking one day off per week. You deserve it and need it for your mental health and well-being.
7. Be in every moment while you are in it. When you are with family embrace those moments. When you are at work embrace that time. Separate the two so you don’t feel like you are neglecting anyone or compromising yourself.
The secret to a successful life is balance. It’s easy for us as humans, but it becomes hard when there are multiple priorities that need attention at the same time. When things feel tough as they often do remind yourself you are no good to anyone if you are not taking care of yourself first.